Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Than Hin temporary shelter


Tham Hin- temporary shelter.

temporary: impermanent, not permanent, not lasting

Does it mean one week, one month, one year,...?
Refugees staying in this camp for more than 10 years might get confused by 'temporary'. Imagine to be in a camp for such a long time, seing others leave, but you have to stay.
They get food, good medical care, water supply, schools, a football ground ...
but they don't have liberty. Their home country is in war- so no peace, no freedom.

Think about this when you are angry that someone's 5 minutes late, when somebody just took the car park you wanted to have or or or or or ...........

The UNHCR planned to close this camp within the next 3 years, but where should all the refugees go?! Most of them want to resettle, but there are still coming about 1000 refugees per month.
The situation in Burma is getting worse. For 60 years people in Burma can't live in peace.
Do you think that there is a temporary solution?!

The Karen I met in the camp and worked with, are the greatest and most amazing people I've ever met. Before I left we had a farewell lunch, I still dont know if this was one of the happiest or one of the sadest moments in my time here. Crying and smiling at the same time.

I started thinking about, if it is possible that this is the place I belong to....
It felt so much like home to me being there.
Who knows?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home